Sunday, September 6, 2015

Atlantic Road excursion

We disembarked the ship for a short 4 hour ride over the Atlanic Road, stopped off for a visit at one of the few remaining Stave churches, and then ate together with the group at a cute little restaurant with a sod roof.  The dish served for our group was bacalavao.  We ate with a couple from Russia and a man from Korea.  We shared stories about our kids and grandkids.  Family talk brought smiles to all in broken English...

Our tour guide was a lovely young lady who spoke in Norwegian, English and German.  Her voice was like a song in all 3 languages.  We learned about why's of the red color outbuildings vs. the white color of the main home on the farms.  She shared that in Kristianlan the town dwellers are encouraged to paint their homes a color of their choice as long as it wasn't the same as your neighbor's.  This way, after a night on the town drinking the national drink Aquavit, you won't mistake your return trip to your own place.  She was a delightful storyteller!

You'll have to excuse me if I don't spell things correctly.  Writing names of things and places that I've learned about verbally is difficult. 

Jorge will post the pics.  We took over 300+ beautiful memories of which he will post a few.  I will "comment" on them when posted.

I wish you all could be here to experience this beauty and history.  Sending our love.

4 comments:

  1. love!!!! I check this blog like 10,000 times a day to see if you have posted anything new!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what Aquavit tastes like. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say bring some home and share! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taste aquavit-done x 2
    Bring some to share-already packed.

    ReplyDelete